Jesus asked, “who do people say I am?” “What about you guys?” Peter: “I think you are the Christ.” Jesus says, “on this rock, I’ll build an assembly and nothing even death won’t stop it.”
It’s so unfortunate that church showed up in our language. Jesus predicted a people, a movement, a gathering, an assembly, a growing group of people.
The common ground that all denominations have in common, the only thing is that Jesus is the Christ and formed that gathering that nothing can stop.
At the ascension, Jesus says “go make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.” Then he left! How did we survive? How did it work?
The reality about leadership is that despite all the learning, we have to do it and we end up in the land in between.
Leaders take the stewardship of what’s God’s given them, and exert their energy to make things happen; they do hard things.
But the hardest thing a leader does is take care of him or her self. Many times leaders end up in a downward spiral because they can’t take care of themselves. Leaders who take control and stop their spiral think, feel and behave differently than those who spiral out.
The biggest factor to get from here to there is whether or not you believe it could happen. Even when you get into a circumstance when they realize they are out of control.
Nairobi Chapel – the vision is planting multiple churches in countries around the world, not just Africa
Five Convictions – how to multiply leaders
- Matt. 9:37-38 – “Harvest is plentiful…” The size of your harvest depends on how many leaders you have. The more harvesters we commission to the field, the greater harvest we will receive
- Psalm 71:18 – “Even when I’m old and gray…” Live for the next generation. There is a problem when you live for your own generation, your vision will die with your own generation. You have to invest your vision into the next generation.
- Num. 11:10-17 – “Moses heard the people…” Identify the budding leaders around you and take them to God in prayer. Hit list – find the young leaders and pray them into ministry.
- Mark 12:30-33 – “Love the Lord your God…” Instill the five loves into your budding leaders: Love the Lord: heart, soul, mind & strength, love your neighbor
- All your heart – character
- All your soul – conviction
- All your mind – comprehension
- All your strength – competence
- Your neighbor – compassion
- Acts 4:13 – “When they saw the courage…” Never do ministry alone. Always have budding leaders around you. Let them be the fly on the wall, bring them to your meetings, if you have a spare room, let them live with you for a year.
Over the years 500 young men and women have gone through his mentorship and leadership development program.
The more harvesters you have the larger your harvest will be.
She works with CEO’s on vulnerability, courage, shame, how we feel, what we believe, how that drives behavior.
I don’t study leaders, I study people!
The irreducible needs of people:
In their absence there is suffering.
Strategy is Innovation
Box 1 – Manage the present
Box 2 – Selective forget the past
Box 3 – Create the future
Competition for the future is innovation
We have to improve ongoing operations for efficiency, but must think about the future through innovation
Dominate logic – is extremely useful for current operations, but puts up barriers for the future – must be overcome.
Innovation is more than ideas, but executing or commercializing creativity (1% inspiration, 99% perspiration)
Innovation = idea + leader + team + plan
Leadership is intentional influence
Influence environment has changed dramatically – understand influence, take lessons from social science
- 61% of Americans say religion is losing influence
- 80% know Christians
- most say Christianity has no impact on their behavior
Testing children through influence: Easy money, simple tasks, brief amount of time – made a goal to anchor their intentions. Offered minor temptation, and they failed.
There were intentional influence systems put into place.
America is a land of tremendous opportunity.
In TV: 1000 to 1 ratio of no’s, but to Mark, NO = next opportunity
When God/Jesus calls you, you have to get your ass off the couch and do it
In making the Bible, lots of attacks from secular media. Bill Hybels made the encouragement to stop being defensive about the series and start playing offense.
100 Million viewers and the success for the Bible came from the Holy Spirit. Much courage came from church leaders.